Sunday, January 03, 2016

Happy New Year and welcome to 2016


After the hustle and bustle of pre Christmas, I really enjoy the slower pace of the days following Christmas and before the New Year and as I mentioned in previous posts I always find it a time of evaluation and reflection. New Year means different things to different people and for me it is firstly to celebrate my husbands birthday and then secondly it marks the passage of time whilst giving me the opportunity to reassess where I am on my life journey. I enjoy taking stock of where I am on that journey and find it is a good time to think through goals for the coming year and to have a clean out of papers, emails, sort and de clutter areas that I don't usually get to during the year.

I have spent some time in my sewing room rearranging things back into sewing room mode from guest room mode and have started thinking about my top five for 2016. I have made a list of all of my UFO's - this is a very honest list for my eyes only. 

As I was compiling this list I was thumbing through my quilt planning book I use which works well but is seperate from my diary so I decided to create a chart to help me keep on track of my UFO's enabling me to see at a glance where they are all at and what still needs to be done on each one. I have attached this sheet into the front of my diary so I know exactly where it is and I have everything in one place.


I have identified my top priorities and will work on those first. I can now see exactly what needs to be done to get these to the finish line thanks to my chart and I can allocate time in my diary for each step required. 

This forward thinking and planning I find saves me time as I know exactly what needs to be done and generally just do it, otherwise I will sit in my sewing room with no clear direction and wonder what should I work on and not make the most of the precious sewing moments that I have which I find very frustrating. 

I still have some tweaking to do with the organisation in the sewing room but I have spent quite a bit of time in the weeks before Christmas getting things more streamlined and organised as I can't stand not being able to find things when I need them and get very frustrated with the waste of sewing time spent looking for things. The tweaking will happen on a daily basis as I spend more time working on stitching, but as things are getting more organised I am finding that I am enjoying my space more and want to spend more time in there. 

Over the last couple of days while pottering I have put together a couple of book covers for my club planning book and my diary. I enjoyed creating these and used some string pieces that I had already made and I look forward to seeing them both often this year.


That is all for now so until next time, happy stitching everyone.

Donna-Maree





No comments: