Sunday, September 24, 2017

Tauranga Patchwork and Quilters Exhibition Part 2

Yesterday was an absolutely beautiful day here in Tauranga and that combined with the election meant that it was a bit quieter at the exhibition. 

Here are a few pics but I will get lots today on my camera.


Quilters produce others things than just quilts and this dress is simply stunning.


There are four gridlock quilts in the show (more pics of those coming) however this one caught my eye and I had to have a closer look at it as I was walking past.


At first I thought the streaky colour was in the background and then I realised that it is the quilting thread and what a fantastic effect it gives the quilt.


My friend Denise Lee made this quilt and it has been a pleasure seeing it being created, however this is the first time I have seen it in person totally complete and it is simply stunning.

I love it when you discover something that adds to your quilting experience and on Friday I discovered Fusamat which is an applique ironing mat designed by Sharon Bradley of Waitomo Sew Worms, that I have tried out already and I love it. Check out Sharon's website Here


You can put your pattern sheet underneath the mat and then you assemble your applique on top like you normally do and press to fuse your applique. This mat stops the glue from the vliseofix from spreading and squishing out from under your fabric and getting on your iron or ironing board and therefore there is no need for baking paper or silicone sheet. 

The extra bonus is that because you can see through the mat and you have your pattern underneath you know exactly where to put the pieces when building your applique. The mat can tolerate very high heat which makes it perfect for the soldering iron for those creative projects.

The mat also has an unusual texture which stops pieces from moving around as you go to press things. The mats come in six different sizes depending on your needs. I love mine already and the mat is making applique so much easier and enjoyable, so here is to progress on another WIP (work in progress).

Milly, the puppy is now seven months old and she had her first proper groom the other day and is looking so much like a dog and less like a puppy. I just had so share a pic.




Don't forget the exhibition is on again today, with merchants, refreshments, club sales tables including a special babies and tots table - come on in and check it out today.

Happy stitching everyone.
Donna-Maree



No comments: