Thursday, April 03, 2014

Tripping Around ...


I took this picture of one of the many mosaics in the footpath yesterday when in Cambridge, they are pretty cool. Here is what it says on the Cambridge website regarding these mosaics.  Check it out for yourself HERE.

Walks of fame

If you fancy a gentle stroll, check out Cambridge's tribute to our equine and sporting heroes. Wander along Duke St to find 25 plaques honouring the achievements of local stars in the town's Sporting Walk of Fame, and as you turn into Victoria Street, look for 18 mosaics set into the footpath of prominent local horses. On the wall beside the ANZ in Victoria St, you'll find a special collection of plaques honouring our 13 (and counting) Melbourne Cup winners.


It isn't often that I get the opportunity to have a day out when hubby is on the road, but I grab them when I can. I was disappointed to find the quilt shop I was planning to visit in Cambridge had closed down at Christmas. Having planned on visiting the shop I had some time to spare once I had done enough window shopping, so I sat on a benchseat under a tree on the main road and did some stitching. The cafe across the road had an entertainer playing outside their premise and the ambience was just fantastic. The thing that always surprises me when I am stitching somewhere is the amount of people who stop to look and chat - it is definitely an ice breaker.


While window shopping I was really impressed with this little shop - MYstyleNZ check out their website HERE. They are in the process of redoing their website so make sure to check back soon. They have some seriously gorgeous fabrics, bags, all sorts of things - it definitely put a smile on my face. They will send anything out to you. The thing that really impressed me was their friendliness and positive welcoming attitude. It might be a little shop but it is a treasure trove. The other thing that I noticed in Cambridge is that a lot of the window fronts are looking very royal - I wonder why ... Some special visitors maybe?

After spending the morning in Cambridge we went on to Hamilton. I have lived in Hamilton a lot through my life, on and off and I am always keen to have a look around and check out what has changed since the last time.



Here is the Hamilton Lake or Lake Rotoroa - in all the years that I have lived in Hamilton I have never seen the lake water level so low. In fact I couldn't believe just how dry the Waikato is and how brown the grass is.


This photo is looking up to the cafe at the lake which has been there forever although it is definitely looking different since the last time I was here.


I called into The Base Shopping Centre - I had never been before although I did see them start to build it. This was a little freaky for me as our family lived there at one stage when it was an RNZAF Base. The school got relocated and all the buildings gone - all the memories of those times got challenged yesterday sitting in the mall, knowing that everything had gone and this replaced it. It somehow feels like those times never existed at all apart from in my mind.

Check back soon to see what I am up to next and please leave a comment - I enjoy reading them. Until next time...

Happy stitching everyone.

No comments: