Monday, September 21, 2015

What am I doing now that exhibition is over?

Well, you might well ask. No it isn't tidying the house and doing the chores that are waiting to be done.
I have been folding fabric, actually refolding my fabric would be more correct.


Last night I happened to watch a video on an online link about folding fabric so that is always ready to start cutting. I just love the way that my fabrics look now compared to the messy pile they were before. Sorry I forgot to take a 'before' shot to show you just how bad they were.

I don't know about you but when I have to cut something from yardage, I have always put it off because it was always a mission. With my fabric folded like it is now it is always ready to go.

As you can see in the photo, the fabric sits nicely to your right if you are right handed and you have your straight edge on the left ready for cutting your strips. If you are cutting multiple amount of strips you just unroll your fabric when you need more. It sits nicely and is straight without it being a twisted mess.

The video went onto 'power cutting'. I had never heard this term before, but it went on to explain about creating a straight edge but how with each cut you can loose that straight edge. The demonstrator went on to show how to make multiple straight cuts successfully and quickly. With the 60mm rotary cutter you can stack multiple fabrics and cut successfully resulting in straight strips without wavy edges.

So, this is why I have refolded my fabrics, my fabrics now look lovely just like they do in the shop and much more inviting for me to cut into and therefore I am much more likely to shop in my own stash first! The fabrics will also be easier to put back where they came from which also means a tidier sewing space, which is always a bonus.

Here is the link if you want to check it for yourself.  Here

Let me know what you think about the video and whether this is a change you are considering to  make. Until next time happy stitching everyone.
Donna-Maree

No comments: