Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Club Day

Saturday was our club day for Whangarei Patchwork and Quilters Club. We meet on the second Saturday of each month at the Maunu Primary School Hall.


Saturday was a treat for me, as I haven't been able to attend Club Day for several months due to family commitments. I managed to catch up with people that I haven't seen for a while as well as those that I was on retreat with just a few weeks ago. The club has a fantastic library and it always amazes me how you always seem to see the books that you need right now to help you through the next phase of your patchwork and quilting.


I haven't quilted for a while and my skills are a little rusty, funnily enough I saw two books perfect for assisting me through this experience. I have been reading them and are looking forward to the opportunity to practice some of the suggestions and techniques shown and getting some of the flimsy's finally quilted, bound and labelled.


We often have a speaker at our meetings and this month we had Bruce Sowry who collects sewing machines. In his talk Bruce took us through the history of the sewing machine, the information that Bruce has on this is incredible but it was his passion that shone through and spoke volumes. He has been fascinated with sewing machines since he was a boy and he purchased his first machine when he was 16 years old. The variation in sizes of the machines is as much as the machines themselves. You can catch up with him on Leeann's blog Quilt Whangarei as I forgot to take my camera.


Some club members had taken their older machines for us all to see and it was fascinating the age of some of these machines and who owned them. The stories linked to some of these machines are very interesting and the machines were a delight. I got to see my first featherweight in person and I was impressed!


Anyway that is all for now, so happy stitching everyone and thanks for visiting.
Cheers
Donna-Maree

No comments: