Saturday, October 06, 2012

A Special Visit

I had the fantastic opportunity the other day to visit with a very special friend that I haven't seen for a very long time. The last few years has seen us go in very different directions and as we visited the other day it was as if we had only caught up a little while ago. Don't you love it when you have a relationship as special as this.

My friend is very talented and is the only female wood-turner that I know, as well as a designer of many things, all crafty.

A few years ago my friend gave to me a special doll, here she is in the yellow.

She has a wood turned head with a fabric body. The dress is made of my own hand-dyed fabric which Wendy made the dress from.

Here is a better photo of her. 

The other doll in the first photo is Antique Annie and she was gifted to me just the other day, and she is so gorgeous but she also comes with a story.

A few years ago my friend went with her family to the States while her husband was studying over there. Before she left she wood turned some kauri doll heads to enable her to use her time productively while she was away. At one point they were staying at a camping ground with a fantastic community and while there was given a quilt that was over 150 years old. The quilt had had quite a bit of wear and wasn't in fantastic condition. My friend Wendy salvaged what she could and not wanting to waste anything she kept what she called scraps and it is with these scraps that she made the dresses for this series of dolls that Wendy created while she was in the States. Here are some photos showing the detail.

She is one of only seven made. This label is on her petticoat.

Antique Annie will not hold that arm in!

Here is her back side to show the awesome quilt.

The quilt is just lovely and was tied and I just love the way that Wendy has used every last bit of it creatively. Both of these dolls are very special to me not just for their uniqueness but also because my friend made them and they will always have a special place in my home.

Thank you so much Wendy for your very special gifts to me. I always smile when I pass them in the hallway.

Happy sewing everyone,
Donna-Maree





No comments: