Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Family interlude

Recently I made the trip to Whangarei to be with my mum when she had some day surgery. I stayed a couple of days up there and then we returned home where mum has spent some time with us before returning to Whangarei with my daughters and grand daughter. While they were all here we were very busy trying to fit everything in, as you do. 

We did manage to spend most of a day in Hamilton where we had a picnic at the Hamilton gardens overlooking the awesome lake and then power visited as many gardens as we could in the time we had - not easy to do with your mum and a toddler in tow, their paces being very different to the more energetic members of the group. I didn't think to get pics of the lake, but I can tell you that the gardens were very busy and there were quite a few families enjoying the sunshine and enjoying picnics too.

Some pics of my favourite gardens. 







Wouldn't this design look amazing on a quilt?

We have all lived in Hamilton previously, me with my parents and family as a child and teenager and as an adult with our own family - so the trip was significant for everyone as we all have memories and were keen to see some of the many changes that have happened since we were there last. 

My dad was in the Air Force and not only did he work at Te Rapa but we also lived there for a time. I remember the first time that I shopped at The Base at Te Rapa and the emotions that I had, sitting there where my family had years ago lived and worked with no visual evidence of what had been there previously. I really wanted mum and my girls to see and experience it too. It totally blew my mum away and I think she experienced emotions similar to the ones that I experienced the first time I went there since The Base was developed. 

With the Air Force bases being converted for other uses, the places that we have lived as a family through my lifetime have slowly all been changed with very little of the history being visible. I have found this very hard and I can't exactly explain why, other than that you question whether your experiences ever really did happen as there is no physical evidence that anything ever existed there. All you have are your memories and some photos from that time, which aren't plentiful compared to now with digital cameras.

All in all though it was a very enjoyable day and a fantastic opportunity for four generations to spend quality time together and to make some new memories.

Until next time, happy stitching everyone
Donna-Maree

2 comments:

Leeann said...

Well where I lived in Dannevirke, when first married and had my first baby is now, wait for it...... McDonalds! We had a picnic at Hamilton lake too on the way home too! (5/10). I wonder if we were there the same day?

Donna-Maree said...

Sometimes I don't think that some of the choices made are necessarily for the better. Thinking even more deeply about the Air Forces closures makes you think about the absence now of compulsory training and the long term impact of that on us as a country. Is today's societal slovenliness contributed to by these decisions? For some, the routine and discipline they got in military training was the only opportunity for routines to be ingrained in their lives.
Do we not have a need to protect our country any more with military men and women? Has the role of the military changed from fighting wars to humanity and relief work? Not only have we got rid of the people that fought for our country but we are possibly loosing the flag that New Zealanders fought under and for.
Pretty heavy stuff, but sometimes life just marches along and one doesn't take time to evaluate and reflect on the bigger picture. Seeing a lot of the places that I have lived as a child disappear has given me the opportunity to do just that, evaluate and reflect and has made me think about how I feel about it, the possible reasons and choices that were made at the time. Maybe it is just a part of becoming an aging member of society? Just a thought.