Tuesday, June 14, 2016

'Waste Not, Want Not' coming together

I  have had the four patches for this quilt sewn and assembled together for quite some time in a container with the fabric for the triangles waiting for its turn. 

On Sunday I decided to have a tidy up and cutting session to clear out bits and pieces of fabrics and to restock my strip bins. I came across the container with the bits for this quilt and thought that if I cut the triangles that are needed for this quilt then the fabrics can be put back into circulation. I had no idea that decision would change the course of my weekend. 

Yes, you guessed it. It didn't stop there, I found myself thinking okay I can quickly sew these triangles together. The addiction really took off at this point. The kitchen bench where I do my cutting was taken over completely for the rest of the weekend and we were reduced to using a small section of the kitchen for meal prep. 

The triangles got sewn together, then they got sewn to the four patches and they in turn got sewn together. Sunday night saw me up sewing long into the night after everyone had gone to bed as I needed to 'just get this step completed!'



Yesterday morning when I got up the blocks were sitting on the ironing board, pressed and ready. As I ate my breakfast I couldn't help but lay them out just to see what they look like. No, I didn't like that setting, fiddled a little bit, took a photo, looked at that for a bit. No definitely not that setting. More fiddling and rearranging, another photo, yes that one is better.



Now the blocks are all sewn together and waiting to be pressed and have a border or two attached. How did this go from just cutting triangles - to a complete quilt top? Is it a lack of self discipline or is it taking advantage of the energy and creativity that was released in the cutting of those triangles, the limitless possibilities of the colours, the feel of the fabric under the fingers, the sound of the sewing machine doing what it does best and the satisfaction of seeing something come together into a whole from bits and pieces.



I don't really care, my name is Donna-Maree and I am an addict.  I enjoy the smell and touch of fabric, I love cutting it up and sewing it back together and I love the end product and yes I will do it again and again and probably as long as my body will let me. My house has quilting paraphernalia in every room, I have threads on the floor, the ironing board is up permanently as it gets used every day (and not for ironing shirts) and there is a sewing machine in my living room and I am proud of it.

The decision that will be made today is do I sort borders for 'Waste not, want not' or do I return to the project that is waiting for quilting that needs to be completed to go to Australia as soon as possible? Maybe I can do some of both? Maybe, just maybe.....

Happy stitching everyone, 
Donna-Maree

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Donna-Maree That top looks great, well done.

Ali Honey said...

Sounds like you are feeling better.........Pace yourself!
Happy quilting.

Donna-Maree said...

Thanks Alison, I am feeling somewhat better than I was, will try and pace myself but I am not making any promises, lol.

Thanks Gail, I am pretty pleased with how the top turned out considering it is from a limited selection of scraps as it was all I had when I constructed the four patches. This top will become a goodwill quilt when it is completed.